Sunday, October 2, 2011

It Doesn't Last

I was thinking today that maybe part of the problem is that it doesn't last. When I read Exodus 19:8 this morning, I started thinking about how the Israelites' wanderings very accurately encapsulate the wanderings of humans in general.  The Israelites were so happy and eager to pledge to obey God fully at this point because they had just witnessed some huge miracles (plagues, parting of the Red Sea, destruction of their enemies) and had just been freed from captivity! Over the ensuing centuries, though, they develop a pattern:

  1. Get blessed by God - respond with gratitude and devotion.
  2. Go a while without a new, major blessing (as we see it) - start wandering in self.
  3. Get into a heap of trouble - turn to God for help.
  4. Get rescued by God - respond with gratitude and devotion.
  5. Rinse, repeat,....
Sadly(!), I can relate. That's why I'm thankful I have God's Word and other people to remind me of God's blessings and provisions. What if the feelings from the blessing could just last, though? Would I always have that sense of gratitude and devotion, which leads to faithfulness, joy, peace, etc.? Seems like that would be better, doesn't it?

On the other hand, maybe it's better that the feelings don't last, because then the pain, fear, etc., would last as well.

So, on the one hand, I have Satan working constantly to make my life miserable; and, on the other hand, I have God's protection, provision, etc., plus the Bible to remind me of how awesome God is. The Bible truly is my power source.

The trick is plugging into my power source regularly and often. It's kind of like I'm the Green Lantern ring, and the Bible is the lantern. If I go too long without recharging, I'm powerless, and the enemy kicks my butt! If, however, I stay plugged into my power source, though the feelings do not last, I can not be defeated!



Your word is a lamp to my feet 
   and a light for my path. 
I have taken an oath and confirmed it, 
   that I will follow your righteous laws. 
I have suffered much; 
   preserve my life, O LORD, according to your word. 
Accept, O LORD, the willing praise of my mouth, 
   and teach me your laws. 
Though I constantly take my life in my hands, 
   I will not forget your law. 
The wicked have set a snare for me, 
   but I have not strayed from your precepts. 
Your statutes are my heritage forever; 
   they are the joy of my heart. 
My heart is set on keeping your decrees 
   to the very end.
 - Psalm 119:105-112

No comments:

Post a Comment